11 September 2007

it could only....

happen to me! No problems with packing, got to the airport, picked up tickets all well so far. Plane journey was fab had 2 empty seats next to me, so chilled out. Got to Madeira, bags ok walked through to meet taxi...no taxi! Hmm, get the number out and after 3 calls, I got my taxi, was thinking ok it was only booked yesterday so they might not have got the order.

Gets to the hotel to be told that my room was cancelled by the people that I had booked it with, now I’m panicking thinking it was a con, that I’ve booked somewhere and they haven’t but taken my money. It was ok though as it was on the credit card so protected. Then I thought can’t be right as I wouldn’t have got my flight tickets. Phone the credit card company checked that the payments had been authorised, they had, and completely lost it was too late to phone the people that I had booked with. Only thing I could do was hand over my passport so they could fill out their police report, have dinner, few vinos and bed! Luckily they had rooms available else it would have been the beach for me!

Well over the next couple of days a few phone calls from me to the agent, one where I had to get rather stroppy and tell them if it wasn’t sorted out that I would pay the hotel direct and cancel the payment to them, it was sorted!
Anyway the holiday was great, it was hot (I’m soooooooo brown), peaceful and such a lovely island. My days were spent walking in the hills, or sitting on the promenade. I would find a back street cafe and attempt to order a drink! Evenings was out in the village find some where to eat (the food was good) then back for a few wines and bed.

The place is beautiful and the people really friendly, it’s not touristy at all, you fall into place with the locals and there way of life which was family orientated and festivals, they had festivals for anything and everything, including chestnuts!!!
Of course the flight home was set to be a disaster; I got really bad prickerly heat even though the last day I was covered up. The pain was that bad at some point over Spain I nearly asked for them to stop the plane as I couldn’t stand it any longer!
Well that enough for now, I will tell more as the days go on, I will also attempt to put a few photos up tonight, the rest will go on the other site, will let you know when they are done, but I have a full week ahead this week as I’m celebrating my birthday, got 4 nights out planned so will get round to it at some point!!

3 comments:

Jan said...

What a terrible start you had, I would have panicked like mad I think. Glad it all turned out ok though, and as I expected, the place looks fab, somewhere I have always fancied going to. Ah well, maybe another time... :D

oldcrow61 said...

Aside from the trouble in the beginning, I wouldn't mind a holiday like that right about now. Looks lovely there.

Janine said...

Glad you had a good time!