21 June 2006

Jack

sorry no updates....

I saw a hog Sunday evening about 9pm out in the garden, as this was a bit early for them, I watched him out the window to see if he was ok, sometimes a mum who is feeding will come out to get food whilst the young are asleep. As soon as I saw him walk I knew there was a problem. He was hobbling across the grass then stopped under the birdtable turned his head and looked at me.

Into the bedroom to find a box, found one full of stuff. Stuff now on the floor back outside to the hog. Grabbed him, he curled up, which I thought was a good sign as he was still strong enough to do that. In the box on a pillow case and bought indoors. Went out to the little shed and got the plastic storage box from there, more pillow cases some food and water, then hog was placed in there. He started to eat straight away, again a good sign. Now Im in panic mode as at this point Im not sure whether its a girl hog or boy hog. If its a girl then there could be hoglets left in the nest.

I let the hog settle for an hour, still eating and drinking, kept him dark, warm and quiet. I took him out of the box so I could have a look at why he was hobbling and so I could see if it was a boy or girl. Quick feel on the tummy, I was 95% sure its a boy...phew! The front left leg was facing outwards and it was awkward for the hog to walk. Well nothing I could do on a Sunday evening so I put him back in the box, just before I put him back I had a look at his face for ticks, mites etc. I had my thumb under his chin just gently stroking and was talking softly too him. The most adorable face in the whole world was looking up at me. Resisting the urge to cry he went back into the box, a very clean looking hog, no ticks, hardly any fleas really strong hog.

I didnt really sleep that much that night, I was on hot water bottle refilling duty every hour or so to keep him warm, also to fill up the food dish, blimey what an appetite.

By the morning hog had done what hogs do, so cleaned all that up, then he went into a smaller box then off to the vets. Got to the vets and they said leave him with us. No I will wait thanks. They wouldnt let me go into the vets with him, so immediately I was on edge. The woman came back out a few minutes later, telling me the whole leg was broken and the vet was putting him to sleep. Some where this voice came out of me saying NO I WILL TAKE HIM SOMEWHERE ELSE...she started to ask me where, but I was just can you get him please. Then she went back in and hog and I came home.

Much phone calling later, we were in a taxi to goto a wildlife rescue place. I had spoke to them on the phone and they had a very good vet, that had worked with the wildlife they had rescued, so thats where we went. Lovely couple paying for it all themselves, they were a bit shocked I had travelled 30ish miles in a taxi with a hog, but very pleased.

Hog saw their vet yesterday, turns out the elbow joint is dislocated so he is on bed rest at the moment, hopefully this will sort itself out, but the ligaments may be damaged, so its now a waiting game to see if it will fix or not. Worse comes to worse he will have to live in an enclosed garden, but this is so much better than the other option.. I will send them a donation for his care, people like them are very rare to give up all their time and money to help the wildlife around us, makes all the crap that happens in this world seem so insignificant. Still thank god there are people like this in this world.

4 comments:

Robbiegirl said...

Oh Nic, a dislocation is much better news than a break - hopefully he'll make a full recovery.

Hogs are very tough little things and my vet says they recover well from injuries - look at the horrible injury Rosey had and she healed fine.

So glad to hear he's okay anyway, and like you said, even if the leg doesn't fix right he can have a happy life in an enclosed garden.

Pauline said...

yes, it will heal Nic, my big bun sabby has a disslocated hip, took him to the vet and they tried to push it back in and made it far worse, poor bun could nt walk much when he came home, it took six months for the hip to attach in a diff place, and his hip looks lob sided, but he s fine now, can hop run and I ve seen him jump having a silly five minutes, so hoggy will heal in no time,another little hoggy saved thanks to you and the kind people.

oldcrow61 said...

Wonderful to hear about people like that, one hears about so many awful people and terrible stories. There are good people out there, this made my day.

Anonymous said...

With no Forum post, I feared the worst, so pleased that 'Jack' now has sympathetic care.

Words fail me about the Vet who felt 'the end' was the only choice!

Hoggies are very robust and I'm sure he a good life ahead of him.
You are a heroine for taking such good care and saving his life too!

Tim