24 February 2007

My new veg patch..

Well this morning when I awoke I was feeling pretty rough still, very tired, headache etc..The weather was looking dire, but knew I didn’t want to be cooped up indoors all day. Had some breakfast then made a start on the veg patch. This is how it looked at the beginning.



First job, to clear the old buddleia stalks and remove the grass from the top layer of where I wanted the veg patch to be. I soon had to remove a layer of clothing as it wasn’t that cold that I needed a t-shirt, fleece and jumper! It was quite easy to do as it’s mostly moss at this end of the garden and plus all the rain we have had lately means it was very easy to dig into. I did try and save as many worms as possible but I can’t guarantee that none were hurt during the making of this vegetable patch. Progress photo:





Next job was to mix in some compost, the soil is ok I think, but the extra goodness will help Im sure, could only carry home one bag, but I am sure it will be ok. Starting to take shape now.



Ok the next thing to figure out is the edging, now yes I could have gone down and bought some nice edging would have been easier and probably nicer, but well that’s not me is it. So the idea was to get the bamboo poles that I bought years ago, cut them down the make my own fence. Where is the saw, cant find the saw, ring phill “Where is the saw”, “ why do you want the saw”, “ to cut things with”, “your saw is under the wardrobe”, “ok thanks”, “just before you go, how many fingers do you have?”, “erm 8”, “ok I will call you later and see how many you have then”. Funny sod. Found the saw, got the poles, oh crap I forgot it’s the saw that only saws backwards, why do they make them like that?? Try various ways to cut them, but not much luck, hang on where is all that blood coming from??? OH it’s only a small scratch, carrying on got 4 cut; this is a bit like hard work..EEK more blood, serious this time, ok time to think of a new strategy.

What if I got the poles grouped them together then made a little wall type thing that way. Genius! Ok not enough poles. However I still have all the cut buddleia, so I strip the branches to make poles, wrap them together with tie wraps (I love tie wraps) make an edging!! Here is a progress photo.





A tie wrap here, a tie wrap there, here a tie wrap, there a tie wrap every where a tie wrap.



All that’s left to do now is trim the tie wraps, to make it look a bit neater.



Now the planting……well can plant some stuff now, then the rest in April, so I make some furrows in the earth, then get the seeds out, I really tried to get them as even as I could. However the parsnips did escape and mingle with the leeks, you never know I might create some new type of vegetable!!! The sticks make great label holders so I know what is planted where. The finished vegetable patch!





Just a little tidying up to do round the hog box now, plus get the muck out from under my nails, but I aint half impressed with myself. I have overcome many difficulties and even though im proper illlllllll, my veggie patch is well on the way…BIG GRIN!

6 comments:

Jan said...

Blimey nic, you've worked hard there, looks great. No going out there in the dark with your torch to see if any of the seeds have started to germinate either!

nicola said...

ha ha jan, you know me too well!!

I am now thinking about part 2 of the plan......more tomorrow

Boo said...

Well done Nic. Very innovative of you with the buddlea and bamboo.

What a clever girl.

oldcrow61 said...

Wow Nic, you've done a wonderful job. Wait til you see the plants popping up, so exciting.

Anonymous said...

looks good, nic!

Robbiegirl said...

Nice one Nic.