15 May 2006

Sad story

I had to get some ink for the printer, as Ive got some printing to do for work, managed to blag and early finish (well on time), got changed at home then off I went to staples. I had the idea to tie it into a trip to tescos to stock up on sultanas for the coming of the fledglings. Im now laden down with as many sultanas one human can possibly carry setting off for the 20 min walk home.

On the way back you can go through a sort of park, that has a cricket ground adjacent (rubgy in winter). Im the type of person that walks round with eyes wide open for wildlife. Then I spot something on the cricket field, its brown with spikes and it isnt moving.. In my heart I know what it is and also how unequipped at dealing with him.

I run back to tescos to get a box (not easy with a mountain of sultanas) Grab the nearest box I can find that is full of carrier bags, they are soon tipped out onto one of the checkouts, then Im back out the store.

As I get closer to the hog, I can see Im too late, it looks like the poor thing has been there all day, especially as the amount of flies that were on it. It looked like it had been ripped apart, with several feet unattached from its body and no face. My heart sank.

Thoughts now was to move it away from where it lay. As I had no means really to move the poor hog. I went over to what looked like the greensman. I asked him to move the poor hog. His ignorance astounded me. He said wasnt there yesterday when he cut all the grass. He offered to put in hedge as that is why they are called hedgehogs. I explained again that the hedgehog was dead, otherwise I would be taking it with me. I have never received such a look of disbelief from anyone in my whole entire life. A woman who was with him sympathised and offered that a bird may have attacked it.

The rage now growing is so trying to escape not really at the man and the woman, but just people in general (I know not everyone is the same) The man agrees to get a spade and put the hog under the hedge, Im on my way again. I get to a bench sit down and sob a little, disposing of the box in a near by bin.

The way back Im angry, angry that not many people care now (yes I know loads do, but bare with me) about out wildlife, about an animal that has lived for years and years, yet is now in serious decline, ah its just a hedgehog. Or the times Ive heard I want a hedgehog in my garden to eat the snails and slugs. Oh right so they do that do they? What about I want to encourage them as they are an integral part of our British wildlife that in not so many years to come could no longer be here? Oh no its what thet can do for you!!

How can people be so fucking selfish in the way they live their lives. Not giving a toss about whats around them, as long as they are ok. How can so many people walk down the street not hearing the song of a blackbird, look up and revel in its glory. How many people walked past that hedghog and didnt stop to help, if they couldnt do it themselves they could have asked the chap who was there, how long did that poor animal suffer? How can they not see the damage that we are doing with out pollution and our litter, hey some one will pick it up..wont they? Never mind for effect it has on all around us. As long as Im ok, who gives a fuck about the rest.

I am so pleased I have more compassion, sensitivity to be aware of what is around me. That I hear and appreciate the natural world, not just viewing it on the tv (oh), but actually living with it day in day out, trying the best I can to help it along, thrive. That im not living up my own arse.

I apologise for my language in the above post, I am very aware of others that do appreciate wildlife and in fact help more than I do.

5 comments:

flicker said...

Yet again nic, you say things that I could have said myself. Things that I feel all the time, even down to the swearing! I'm sure once we were sisters, maybe in another life. It hurts like hell though to be so sensitive, and I wish I wasn't sometimes. I wish I could be like a lot of the others, not giving a shit about anything as long as I was alright Jack. Everyday something hurts like hell, I saw a little hedgehog squashed by a car yesterday, and my eyes welled up with tears, but at least that one probably had an instant death, not like you poor little mite. All we can do is play our part and do our best to make sure our own little bit of the world is right, and the wildlife that honour us with their presence in our gardens is looked after to the best of our ability. I feel your pain as usual. Jan

nicola said...

Thanks jan, you are right in all that you have said..I just wish I was able to do more

Robbiegirl said...

This "being sensitive" is a cross we have to bear... if it wasn't for people like us the wildlife would be well and truly stuffed - so many people only worry about themselves. It means that we spend a lot of time upset about the injustices that go in in the world, but at least it spurs us to actually do something about it.

In the past I've been accused of being "soft" and "over-sensitive", but I wouldn't be any other way. I'd rather feel and be upset sometimes than to be cold and unfeeling like a block of wood, as some people are.

How anyone could not cry over a dead hog is beyond me.

Poor things.

nicola said...

Yeah its all true what you have said anna, although if truth be known maybe ignorance is bliss? Im in a pondering mood...

Pauline said...

did nt get time to post a reply here, yes, its so sad to find a hoggy like that, I remember seeing a hog sort of sitting at the side of the motorway, so say to mark, on the way back we ll walk up to have a look, and it was quite a way along, and all these cars were wizzing past, should nt have done it, very dangerouse, but poor hoggy was dead, but at least I could sleep knowing he was no longer suffering.