22 April 2007

Catch up

Friday

Please note I was early, packed up the car, or rather squashed my bag into the boot of the car (ok I didn’t really need the fleeces) and off we went. Fist stop was Stamford, haven’t been there for ages, such a nice town it is too. Few shops and breakfast, then we went to look round a couple of churches, managed to walk in them with out being burnt or struck down (its a few years since Ive been to confession). A walk along the river and Pete’s first lens change! A chap did approach me saying he was from the local paper, wanted to know what I thought about local issues, I don’t actually think he was some how so I told him I wasn’t from the area, he asked me where I was from, but I managed to get rid if him.

At the river we saw a female mallard with loads of chicks, must have been at least 20, surely they couldn’t have all been hers!! After that it was on to a NT house (see Pete’s blog for more info and names of places). Very nice day, lovely sunshine and some flutters here and there. More food and drink later (hey I was on my holiday) then some more photo practise. Pete was a very good pupil and actually did everything I suggested! Really looking forward to seeing his photos.

After that, up to Rutland and a walk by the south shore (I think). Such a beautiful place too, really made me think about where I live and all the other beautiful places I could live, although I would imagine that the house prices would some what be out of my league! There is a church there too, which was rescued when the reservoir was made. It looks very imposing coming out of the water like it does.

Ok then back to the hotel, hmmm erm well. It was different shall we say, in great need of some TLC. Still it’s a bed for the night, talking of which I had two beds in my room. As one does, I tried the bed for comfort, one bed I sank into and couldn’t get out; the other was as hard as a board of wood. The room could also do with a deep clean. Was wondering if it was just me, maybe my expectations are higher than others…I don’t know!

The dinner was ok, as dinners go. Nowt special really and an early night followed, I was quite tired though so was looking forward to a good nights sleep, if only that was managed!

Saturday

Up with the larks as I am every morning! Off to Rutland, met up with Anna, Dave and Michael who I still can’t believe is 37, honest he doesn’t look more than 25 at the most! Good walk round, took some photos. I wont list what was seen as the others will bound to have done, but did get to see a grasshopper warbler, pretty little bird, with a very powerful voice! Also saw the Ospreys on their nests, plus lots of other birds too. Some nice flutters about, but no damsels…I did look.

Pub for lunch then group spilt up, Pete and I went to a flutter house, just up the road. Tropical flutters and birds and lizards everywhere. Some lovely species of flutter, but man was it hot in there. After less than an hour I thought I was going to faint! So a trip up to the Rutland coast again and ice – cream was the order of the afternoon.

Back to the hotel, managed to get the shower to a temperature that didn’t scold or freeze me. Dinner was better this night, quite tasty. I stopped down in the bar and had a couple of drinks to help me sleep on the bed of stone! It did help too, slept much better!


Sunday

Had a wee lay in this morning as we didn’t need to be particularly early. Had another hearty breakfast, then off to a NT house, of course we got there before the staff, but they let us in early! So we didn’t have to wait in the car..Horray! The house has fallen to ruin, but it being restored, lovely old building. Only one thing the Rooks, loads of them and the noise was almost unbearable! Guess you would get used to it eventually.. Next stop another NT house, this one was never finished as the owner was put in the tower! Odd looking house though, had to go in via the cellar; you will see from the photos that it would have been a magnificent building if finished! Then it was a lovely pub lunch and then home-ward bound.

Had the loveliest of times, couldn’t have asked for better weather, even topped up my tan…in April for goodness sake.

Just had some news and all this seems a bit fruitless now, but I am still going to blog my holiday, but it is with sadness.

2 comments:

Jan said...

Glad you had a great weekend nic.

oldcrow61 said...

Sounds like it was a fab weekend.