02 April 2007

Wanted Female hogs.....

To sort out this rather grumpy-I-wont-let-any-of-you-near-the-food-hog. He is terrible, I will sort out some vid clips later. I will try putting out 2 dishes tonight and see if that works, luckily there is food also in the garden, plus with the warmer weather there is more natural food that they can seek out too. The new hog splot, im guessing is a male, havnt checked as yet, will try and do that this week is a nice hog, quite small as titch is, but is eating well.

Another lovely sunny morning, really makes you feel better when the sun is shining! Plans this week? Well ive got some more wild seeds to put in the bed, I also want to make a flutter feeder, but Im a bit worried as I have a lot of wasps in the garden, so am trying to think of a way to feed the flutters with out creating a swarm of wasps. Was looking at some stuff on the net last night, they say best thing to do is trace back where they are nesting then kill the wasps, seems a bit harsh to me, but I am not a fan of wasps, if they are out there I come in. I dont mind bees, but wasps...no they chase you too, I have been chased a few times. So im not sure what I can do really, will have to think on that one!

Oh horrraaaayyyyy for a four day week :)

3 comments:

Jan said...

Be thankful you have hogs that want your food! My ungrateful wretch finally turned up at 11.50 pm last night, came in from the camera end of the shelter so couldnt see who it was, sniffed the dishes, and went out the other way. I waited till 12.20 and he never came back, so gave up and went to bed. This morning, nothing had been touched. He obviously wasn't hungry. I even opened a cat food last night too to encourage him to stay longer. :(

Anonymous said...

Hi Nic, I never kill wasps in the spring/summer. They are very effective garden predators (esp. aphids) and only become a pest seeking out 'sweet stuff' when the grubs have hatched and the 'byke' is empty in Autumn. I kill them then 'cos they are going to die anyway. :(
I do destroy any nests I find round the house or in the loft space...easy to do after dark when they are all inside...but otherwise I leave them alone until the autumn.
As you've probably read, the adults feed on the grubs' excreta which is apparently sweet (!) who found that out? So when you are feeding your flutters, theory is the wasps should not be too interested!
BTW I tried to congratulate you on your superb flutter pix, but the site would not accept my comments.

Ogg Den

nicola said...

Thanks Den, I will get on with the flutter feeder asap