25 April 2007

I wasnt going to post this...

as we have had enough bad news of late, but then remembered that some of you read the hog forum....Found a very young thin hog last night about 8pm in the garden bed looking for food. Poor thing its breathing was very laboured and very noisy. Popped in a box with some heat and food. At one point I thought she was going to pass away as her breathing became worse. Put her on the hwb on my lap put some eucalyptus oil on the tea towel and waited. Five minutes later she came back to life again and was trying to explore so popped her back in her box.

When I went to bed she was looking poorly again, so didnt hold much faith for the morning, you can see all her bones she is that thin. I thought at least if she does die she is in comfort and warmth rather than being outside in the cold.

Up this morning she was curled up on her side fast asleep, just her HUGE feet sticking out so sweet, a photo opportunity but I dont like to until they are feeling better. So off to the vets this morning, dont normally have much luck with them, but I chose ad different one this time, I did feel much better about it. They are keeping her in for a couple of days to give her intense course of antibiotics, then they will call me to talk about further treatment at home. I just hope the little hog is strong enough to make it through the next couple of days, then it will be a case of getting rid of the lungworm, feeding up for a few weeks then release. We havnt discussed cost of treatment as yet so I might have a d80 for sale soon... ;)

Apart from that, dentist again today, learnt how to floss properly, bugger me talk about difficult have to get both hands in my mouth twist round and all sorts!! Still im on probation now for 6 months then I will be checked on to make sure im doing it right! She was telling me today about her other work she does. Cosmetic stuff when people have really bad teeth, she can spend the whole day cleaning one lot of teeth!! They have to be injected as well as it is quite painful. I like her she makes me laugh, tells me off but also tells me when Ive done good! As she says she wont mince her words, if Ive not kept my teeth right I will be in bother...oh well at least thats over with for 6 months..

Oh well best go and do some other stuff, might have another hog in again tonight de-ticking although every time they dont sleep in the box they are picking them up again! Silly things, still please keep your fingers crossed for little hog..

5 comments:

oldcrow61 said...

My fingers are crossed for the little hog Nic, hope she makes it.

The Quacks of Life said...

fingers xed nic. i could do with a backup cam :D

Jan said...

poor little hoggy, fingers crossed here too.

nicola said...

Yeah will have an update friday

Robbiegirl said...

Hope little hoggy will be okay!

If you get a good vet they won't charge you for consultation, only for the medication they give. That makes it much cheaper... my vet did Rosey's amputation for about £30, including the antibiotics afterwards. Baytril's pretty cheap.