03 April 2007

Customer Service

Its not that I like to complain or get angry, but sometimes things just get my goat! For example, I need to get my electricity meter changed; I was sent a letter, so I ring them to arrange an appointment for them to come out. They have the address wrong, have to phone my supplier. So I phone my supplier explain to them what is what and what they need to do.

Oh no, they can’t do it I have to phone the national database people, but unfortunately the number I was given was for the Yorkshire area! Now im quite a mellow sort and call the meter people back. Of course they say im to phone my supplier back. I phone them Im on hold again, the last call I was on hold for ages, and it gets to 30 mins on hold I give up.

Call them at lunchtime today (hence no photos) im on hold again! Get through to someone have to explain all over again, they say they will find out, the line goes dead after another ten minutes I hang up.

I finish work, I ring my supplier again, and by this time my patience is some what fraid. I of course remain calm and polite, well ish. I explain AGAIN the problem, even tell them what they need to do, they then forget everything I have told them, was it gas or electricity!! They then tell me to give them a number I will be called back…why I ask, well we need to call you, why I ask, to arrange some one to come out and check the number on your meter. When will that be I ask, in 5 days time, I reply that’s not good enough, but they ask again for my number, again I say that’s not good enough! She talks to her colleague now normally you cant hear what they are saying, but I could and heard this chap say in a tone I wasn’t happy with “What does SHE want”, to which I replied “You can tell him what SHE wants is to have this problem fixed with out being passed from pillar to post” Now im not a happy bunny.

Of course they say I need to phone the meter people as there is nothing they can do, I ask them where I should send my phone bill to for paying, as I don’t think that it is fair that I should pay for the hours Ive been on hold. Let alone the hours of my life that this has wasted who will compensate for that? I then ask for an address I can complain too, the lady then started to back track and apologise, but I politely said that’s very nice but I just want the address thank you.

So back to the meter changing people and guess what?!?!?!?!? Yup back to the supplier. Now Im fuming, really really fuming. Im trying hard not to spit my words out. I explain AGAIN to the person what needs to be done, they say to me ok I will put you on hold and find out, I say NO, NO, NO. She says erm sorry? I say “you are not putting me on hold, Ive been on hold before, what you need to do is while im on the phone, you phone the meter changing people and sort it out amongst yourselves” Which to be fair she does.

Im then put back through to the meter changing people and it turns out that they could have dealt with the problem in the first place!!!! Bugger me! So I took and address also for them so I can complain and also send my phone bill to them.

Now im not an affluent person particularly, I earn good money, but im not extravagant, however I will pay more for a good service as that is important to me. I shop in waitrose as I know I will get a hello, or a small chat. I like that so will pay the extra to shop there. Service is what I do in my job and im proud that I take ownership of things, I listen and I always do my best to resolve an issue even when the person isn’t the nicest of kindest or shouts at me! When I have need to complain, I don’t shout or get angry, but I don’t like dealing with people that are incompetent.

So what am I doing? Well Ive just spoken to another supplier on a free phone number, wasn’t on hold more than 20 seconds had the most nicest of chaps discuss it with me and they will be getting my business for both electric and gas. British Gas however have a very unhappy customer who will be informing them of my plans to leave very shortly!

2 comments:

oldcrow61 said...

Wow Nic, what a mess that was. Glad you got it all sorted out...finally.

Jan said...

I was reading down your rant nic thinking, I bet it's British gas, got to the last paragraph and sorry, laughed but only because I was right. Now you know why I told them to stick their electric up their backsides and have just transferred to Power Gen, who don't put you on hold, whose customer service line for all queries is an 0800 number, who answer the phone straight away, and who actually ring you back when you have a query. British Gas are an insult to the human race, not the fault of the people who work there unfortunately, they just take the flak but there is something seriously wrong with that organisation - I know so many people who have had a gutful of them. They have still never answered my emails when they didn't bother to come and change my meter on three occasions having already made an appointment, I was supposedly entitled to compensation for broken appointments, but I doubt I'll ever see that. Bastards.