10 March 2007

Cambridge Botanical Gardens

Well in the end I did go to Cambridge botanical gardens. I always find it rather challenging to take photos there, as it isn’t a nature reserve at all, so no nice hides or feeding stations. Just you the trees, plants and wildlife. Have to take the shot when you can and believe me you miss a few too. Best bet is to find some where to sit, preferably with a tree or bush in front of you and see what birds come to you.

The day was glorious to start with, lovely and sunny, ideal for taking photos. As I walked into the gardens, it started to get a wee bit cloudy, but didn’t let that put me off. On turning a corner, saw a green woodpecker, damn camera still in bag..TUT! Got camera out put zoom lens on, walked about a bit, saw a red admiral, damn wrong lens is on!! Never mind, onwards I went, looked up and saw a lovely bullfinch eating some buds, I did get a record shot, but that’s about it, as there was too many branches in the way to get anything decent!

Stopped for elevenses, where a rather brave blackbird decided to join me, was no more than 2 feet away from me, digging about in the leaf litter looking for his own snack. Lots of blue tits, great tits, ltt’s, dunnocks, chaffinches, greenfinches, jackdaws, magpies and robins about too. Walked all around the gardens, took some more photos, but it was very cloudy and couldn’t quite get the photos that I would have liked.

Stopped for lunch and changed the lens to the macro one, off to find bugs! Simply loads of bees about, all different types. Countless ladybirds, never ever ever ever have I seen so many about before, was so cool! Filled up 2 memory cards on bees and ladybirds alone! The gardens were lovely too, all in spring mode, the smells were wonderful, plus the sound of bird song. Actually at one point I looked up and there was a dunnock above my head in the tree singing his heart out, took a photo with the macro lens so will be interesting to see how that one turns out.

Changed lens again, took some more bird photos, including a singing wren, fly over from a kestrel (I think) not a great shot. Kept hearing a nearby jay, so went and sat for a while and he should himself too! Kept hearing the green woodpecker but didn’t see it again :( But did get some photos of some very nice thrushes that were happy to sit and pose!

All in all a really nice day, with quite a lot seen bird wise for there, I don’t normally see so much, plus was fantastic to see the bullfinch my first ever!!! Oh and of course mallards on the pond, but I tend to stay away from there as that’s where more people are, not great when you are trying to be still and take photos, with people bustling about you! Hmm 14 different types seen, unless Ive forgotten one, oh pheasant too. That’s 15, starling, that’s 16, wow that is good for there! Well best get on and process the photos for t’other blog!

Oh pigeon too, so thats 17!

3 comments:

oldcrow61 said...

Wow, what a wonderful day you had, can't wait to see the pictures.

Jan said...

Glad you had a nice day. Also glad it was cloudy. No really, sorry, but I have been so pissed off today because it's been grey grey grey and windy, and we even had a shower at 3 oclock, and I was thinking your side of the country was swathed in boiling hot sunshine. So much for the weather forecasts eh? Bloody waste of time looking at them.

nicola said...

sorry jan, the sun did come out all afternoon, was lovely and warm......sowwwwwwy